Butyl MS Caulk is the evolution of high-performance sealants – a state-of-the-art hybrid polymer chemistry designed to withstand severe climate, weathering, and environmental conditions. Butyl MS Caulk is the ideal sealant for roofing, siding, and other construction & industrial applications.
Butyl MS Caulk adheres to a wide variety of substrates including EPDM rubber roofing, aluminum, Kynar coated metals, PVC, vinyl, steel, glass, marble, brick, concrete, wood, and many plastics.
- Expansion joints
- Commercial glass, windows, window manufacturing, and perimeter edge sealing
- Residential and commercial roofing applications
- Residential windows, doors, and siding
- RV, trailers, and specialty vehicle manufacture and repair
- Foundational waterproofing
- Radon sealant
- Application temperatures as low as 30°F (-1.1°C)
- Can be applied to wet surfaces
- UV stable
- Fast cure limits dirt pick-up
- Solvent free
- Not for use in structural glazing applications
- Not for use in applications below waterline, or applications experiencing continuous submersion
- Not for use for sealing/bonding windshields
|TYPICAL PHYSICAL PROPERTIES
|Typical Uncured Properties
||30ºF to 140ºF (-1.1ºC to 60ºC)
||Approximately 24 hours per 1/8” (2.54cm)
Technical Data (Cont.)
|TYPICAL PHYSICAL PROPERTIES
|Typical Cured Properties
Curing conditions of 75°F (24°C) and 50% relative humidity)
||Meets ASTM-C920 “Standard Specification for Elastomeric Joint Sealant” Type: S, Grade: NS, Use: NT, A, M, G;
||Meets ASTM-G155/151 for UV exposure
||-75ºF to 220ºF (-59.4ºC to 104.4ºC) –
Intermittent exposure up to 250ºF (121.1ºC)
||Paintable with latex paint after 2 hours; with oil-based paint after 24+ hours
|Joint Movement Capability
Applicable Standards & Specifications
- Section 07 92 00 – Joint Sealants
- Section 08 00 00 – Openings
- ASTM-C920 – Standard Specification for Elastomeric Sealants
- Federal Spec: TT-S-00230C
- FDA/USDA Requirements
- AAMA 802.3 (Type II), 803.3 (Type I), 808.3, 805.2 (Group C)
V.O.C. Content: 19 g/l
Installation Surface Preparation
Surfaces should be clean of any debris or material that may prevent or deter adhesion. Such debris includes, but is not limited to: dirt, frost, loose particles, existing sealants, grease, oils, rust, etc.
- Cut tube nozzle to desired angle and thickness. Pierce inner foil seal. Place into standard caulking gun.
- Hold at a 45° angle and apply by pushing sealant ahead of the nozzle to achieve a smooth seal.
- Smooth caulk using a wet finger or a damp cloth for a clean, neat appearance. Wipe away excess caulk with a damp cloth before sealant skins. Complete tooling within 20 minutes.
- Sealant normally “skins over” in 5 minutes, dries to touch in 1 hour, and cures and in 24 hours. Allow 7 to 14 days for full cure.
- Allow a minimum of a 2 hour cure time before painting with latex or oil-based paints. The length of time for a full cure is dependent upon the thickness of the application and additional factors such as temperature and humidity.
Installation (CONT.) Clenaup
Excess caulk should be cleaned off tools and nonporous surfaces while it is in the uncured state using a dry cloth or paper towels. Excessive amounts may require the use of a solvent such as acetone or mineral spirits. After curing, excess sealant must be cut or scraped away.
Butyl MS Caulk and other EPDM Coatings products are available from stocking distributors nationwide or direct from the manufacturer. For the name and telephone number of the nearest EPDM representative, call the number at the end of this document or visit www.epdmcoatings.com
||Butyl MS Caulk-10. Fl. Oz. (298.7mL) Tube
Inspect sealant at a minimum of every five years. If sealant or bond of sealant is damaged, completely remove or cut away sealant in the damaged area, clean surface, and reapply sealant.
EPDM Coatings representatives are available to assist you in selecting the sealant or adhesive appropriate for your application. For further assistance contact your local EPDM Coatings representative, or contact us via our website www.epdmcoatings.com
EPDM Coatings warrants this product’s performance provided it is properly stored and applied within 1 year. If, when applied as directed, this material proves to be defective, return the remaining product and proof of purchase for refund or replacement of product exclusive of labor or cost of labor. This is the sole and exclusive remedy for defects of product failure. The determination of eligibility for this warranty shall be made at the sole discretion of EPDM Coatings and any decision made shall be final. This warranty is in lieu of any other warranties, expressed or implied, including but not limited to a warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, and in no instance will EPDM Coatings be liable for damages in excess of the purchase price, except where such exclusion or limitation is prohibited by state law. Users must read and follow the directions of the current Technical Data Guide and SDS prior to product use. The user determines the suitability of the product intended for use and assumes all risks. Recommendations for the use of this product are based on tests we believe to be reliable. The manufacturer and seller are not responsible for results where the product is used under conditions not in strict accordance with our published recommendations and in applications considered suitable for this product. EPDM Coatings shall not be responsible for the use of this product in a manner to infringe upon any patent or any other intellectual property rights held by others.
DANGER: CAUSES SERIOUS EYE AND SKIN IRRITATION. MAY CAUSE RESPIRATORY IRRITATION. MAY CAUSE ALLERGIC SKIN REACTION, DAMAGE TO ORGANS, AND CANCER THROUGH PROLONGED OR REPEATED EXPOSURE.
Wear protective gloves. Wear eye or face protection. Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Avoid breathing dust. Wash hands thoroughly after handling. IF INHALED: Remove person to fresh air. IF ON SKIN: Wash with soap and water. Remove contaminated clothing, washing before reuse. If skin irritation occurs: Get medical attention. IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water. Remove contact lenses if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. If eye irritation persists: Get medical attention. IF INGESTED: Wash mouth with water. Remove victim to fresh air. Give small quantities of water to drink. Do not induce vomiting. Store locked up. Dispose of contents in accordance with all local, regional, national, and international regulations. KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN.
: This product can expose you to Titanium dioxide, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov